Sunday, June 29, 2008

Our Sweet Maya

My sweet baby girl,

I can't believe two years have passed since we began this journey to you. When we started out we were so naive. We thought that we would complete the paper work, send it to Vietnam, and we would bring you home a few months after that. The minute we saw your face we knew you were ours, and that God had blessed us with a beautiful baby girl. We all sat around the computer laughing, crying, and talking about what it was going to be like to have you in our family. Little did we know how hard this road was going to be, but that's usually the way things go for us. So, we hit those challenges head on. We fought for you, and we fought hard. Not a week went by that I didn't call someone on your behalf. I talked with the Senator's offices, the State Department, and the White House. All the while thinking that somehow what I was doing would get you home. I never gave up thinking that soon I would hold you. It makes my heart break knowing that you will never know how much this family loves you. Your brothers and your sister talk about you every day. They talk about what you must look like, what your favorite color will be, and how cute you will look in the clothes that sit in your dresser. Every time that we pray, your 3 year old brother reminds us to pray for you. He says, “Pray for Maya, that she gets enough food, and she will come home.” Sweet girl, you are loved by so many. The day we found out you weren't going to be able to come home, three of my closest friends stopped by to pray and cry with me. We laid on my bed and prayed for you, that either God would work a miracle in this situation, or that He would place you in a home that loves you as much as we do. I cannot tell you how many people pray for you daily..

I want you to know that we will never stop praying for you. I pray that you will grow into a beautiful woman of God, that loves others more than herself. You have been such a special gift to us. I thank God that He brought us on this journey, otherwise, we never would have known you. We love you so much, and that will NEVER change.

I can't tell you that I understand why this has happened, or why I will never have the chance to hold you. I do know however, that God is good, and that He never makes a mistake. I am surprised, and hurt that things didn't turn out that way we thought they would, but I still trust Him and He has a reason for this.

I believe that someday I will see you in Heaven. I know that the minute I see you I will recognize you because you are so close to my heart. I will never forget you, no matter what road we may travel down next. You are forever a member of our family, and we love you.




Love,

Daddy, Mama,

Morgan, Kristian, and Harrison

10 comments:

Karen said...

Little Maya has touched your lives forever and she will always be a part of your family.

Karen

K said...

I just read your news. Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. My heart is breaking for you and I have tears in my eyes. Thank God for the wonderful friends that you have that are helping your famiy through this time. The prayers that you and others are praying for Maya will be with her forever and make a difference! I loved how you wrote about seeing her in heaven. That is so beautiful and so true. I am praying for you.

Tammy said...

Heather,

My heart goes out to you and your family during this time of mourning. I am so sorry for your heartache and loss.

Tammy

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for you all. I wish I could give you the answers you need. My son's last request each night if for God to bless all the babies in Vietnam. I will continue to pray for you and Maya.

Anonymous said...

As hard as this is on you right now, can you even imagine going through this heartbreak without God - the ultimate Comforter and Healer?? His strength will hold you up......I am praying for you all.....

Anna said...

Heather,

I am so sorry that for you all that this is the way things turned out. You are all in my thoughts. Your letter to Maya is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I have hurt ever since you posted the news, and you have been in my prayers. Tonight I heard Steven Curtis Chapman's "With Hope" for the first time and it made me think so much about your love and your loss for little Maya. I am so grateful that one day she will be with her Mama and the rest of her American family forever! Hang in there and know that you are lifted daily to the Father in my prayers.

Julie

Heather Field said...

Our family is praying for you. We too know the pain of this journey after losing our first referral to the rhinovirus that swept through Hanoi. God will carry you through this. If you ever want to talk, please feel free to email me. chkkbcs@gmail.com Maya is very blessed to have the love and prayers of your family. God loves her so very much and He has a plan for her. May you feel comfort and peace that only our savior can provide over the the days to come.

Kate said...

My heart hurts for you and your family and I will continue to keep you all in prayer.

Kate

Lisa said...

I am so sorry for you and your family. I know exactly how you are all feeling. When we got the news that our "son" was taken home by his birthmother, we were devastated. Then when we found out the reason why he was taken back, we were hurt even more. We were told that he was needed most likely to work on the farm. My heart could not take that kind of news, he's only 8 years old. My 9 year old son will most likely never get over this. He changed the day we told him his brother was not coming home, the brother he talked about all day everyday for 7 months.

So, yes I feel your pain and I hurt for you and your family. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

Good Luck to you and your family.

Lisa